Wednesday 9 July 2014

Kayakims CR report 6/7/14

Hellow!

Brazil 1 - 7 Germany, who would have thought lol.


Maybe someone who won big can buy some kayaks for us? Huehuehue



Disclamer : We at fishingkims do not support gambling at any level, but the jokes surrounding the NCPG adverts are seriously funny. Irony to the max.


OK I digress. 

Anyway, me and abel master of comebacks decided to set out to do some Kayak fishing last sunday. It was our 4th time launching from Pasir Ris beach. The weather wasn't the most encouraging as it was slightly over cast but we decided to risk it. Abel was dispatched to Changi village to obtain our baits.

Live prawns!



We previously tried using dead prawns but didn't seem to be as effective as live ones. I guess live prawns really are the most effective when fishing for bigger fish. Live prawns obviously cost much more then dead ones, and are harder to maintain as well, but its all worth if you land a big fish. Think about it, if you catch a 1kg kims or grouper you would have "earned" back your bait money. Fishing is an investment! Or is it a gamble? Hmmmmm...........0.0

We reached Pasir Ris beach at 2pm and quickly set up. I was super excited to try out my new sevylor quick pack. 


How quick can you set up the quickpack?

Abel's yellow bannana



The sevylor was such a breeze to set up, I think i set it up under 10mins, it was that quick. Compared to my Advanced Elements AirFusion which can take 20mins or more. With the added convenience of being a sit on top, I could just place all my gear on deck. Super pumped to get it out on the water. 

Unfortunately the moment we launched it started to drizzle and we had half a mind to turn back, getting caught in a heavy rain with strong winds on our small inflatables was not a joking matter. Even though we may seem close to the shore, wind and waves have no mercy and can capsize you or even blow you even further from the shore if you where not careful. Being young and rash though, we decided to make a dash for the blue barrels and anchor ourselves there to tough it out. 
I was paying the price for the convenience of the sevylor now haha, the tracking was pretty bad and the wind kept blowing me to the side. Well, cant have have my cake and eat it too I guess. Eventually we did manage to reach the blue barrels. phew.

Like a boss

Thankfully the rain and wind subsided after we set up anchor and the fishing could commence! Thank God. They sevylor was really comfortable, almost like sitting on a sofa in the middle of the sea. I decided to try and horn hook my live prawns this time instead of hooking the body. 


Remember to avoid the dark spot in the head!




After 5mins I had a really strong take on my prawn, but as I was reeling it in the line went slack. NOOOOO. All I was left with was the prawn head. What could it be? I quickly launched another prawn in the same area and hoped whatever took my first prawn would come back for more. My initial excitement quickly subsided as there where no more solid takes on my prawn, just small nibbles here and there and Houdini prawns (prawns that disappear). 

I was settling down for the waiting grind when I felt something at the end of my line. I wasn't a huge reel busting take, but I could feel a growing tension, could be nothing......ayah what the heck just strike........STRIKE! My rod bent and there was something heavy at the end of it!! My first thought was that it was going to be another eel. Pasir Ris waters are simply filled with them, i once caught 7 of those in one evening, pesky buggers, really heavy to reel up but don't really put up much of a fight. Not to mention they also like to wrap themselves around your rig and destroy it.

I was just complaining to abel "sighs another eel" when suddenly my reel started screaming! And I was on medium drag too.  ZEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (that's how it sounds in my head don't judge me). ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHH WOOTS FISH ON. Abel was like "eh dont bluff la you set your drag loose right!". The fish was constantly diving downwards and I was wondering what could it be? Kims? Chermin? Mozambique catfish? 

But it turned out to be a.....................................






GAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Excuse the crazed laughter at the end


First grouper for me! Haha. I honestly thought it was a kims because of the line it took out. But hey, cant complain against a grouper, always a respectable catch anywhere. And it was a decent sized grouper too. One for the keeps!

Trying to keep it alive longer.

However in my hurry and excitement to land the grouper, I chucked it on top my kayak totally not respecting its sharp dorsal fins. The moment it trashed I could hear the faint sound of air escaping from my kayak. GG friends. Damage control mode activated. I quickly assessed the damage, thankfully it was just a very small pin hole puncture, but I knew I had to quickly paddle back to be safe. Talk about a short fishing trip. Less then an hour out...oh wells. At least I managed to catch a fish. Lessoned learned! I went back to shore to do some beach casting and wished able the best of luck haha. However neither of us had any other noteworthy catch that day. I believe Abel caught a few sea perches and marine catfish. Soon 5pm came about and we had to pack up. 

More pictures!





Need a bigger plate lol.


So this just about wraps up this kayakims catch report! Hope it was entertaining and informative. Have a good week people! I need to go patch my kayak now haha. Till next time! 


-Bryan 













1 comment: